22 Indians on hijacked ships near Yemen and Somalia, government says all safe

The Indian Embassy has raised the issue of 22 Indian sailors involved in the hijacking of two commercial vessels near Yemen and Somalia with the Kenyan government. The embassy also stated that all crew members are safe.

 

 

Pirates have hijacked two commercial ships in Somalia and Yemen. (Representational image)

The Ministry of External Affairs has responded to the hijacking of two commercial vessels with 22 Indian crew members by armed pirates off Yemen and Somalia.

The Indian Embassy in Kenya stated, "We have raised the issue of Indian sailors aboard the MT Sibu (Eritrean-flagged) and MV Lutuf (Cameroon-flagged) vessels with the relevant authorities in Somalia. According to reports, there are 16 Indian sailors aboard the MT Sibu and six Indian sailors aboard the MV Lutuf. All Indian sailors are reported to be safe."

The statement further said that we attach utmost importance to the safety and well-being of the Indian seafarer community.

According to the Times of India, a senior official said, "In two separate incidents this week, armed pirates hijacked commercial vessels carrying 22 Indian crew members near Yemen and Somalia. So far, all the sailors are reported safe."

One ship was hijacked on August 20 and another on August 17.

The Eritrean-flagged MT Sibu 1, which had 16 Indians among its 22 crew members, was seized on August 20 in the Gulf of Aden, about 30 nautical miles from Yemen.

Meanwhile, the Cameroon-flagged M/V LUTUF was hijacked. Its 10-member crew included six Indians. The ship was hijacked on August 17 off the coast of Puntland, Somalia.

The MT Sibu 1 was seized by six armed pirates when an unauthorized vessel approached the tanker. Meanwhile, the M/V LUTUF, off Puntland, was boarded by eight armed pirates in two small boats. Both vessels are still under pirate control. No crew members were reported injured.